I am an associate professor in the department of Philosophy and Politics at the University of IdahoMy book, Epistemic Care: Vulnerability, Inquiry, and Social Epistemology, was published in 2023 by Routledge. This book uses the framework of care ethics to articulate a novel theory of our epistemic obligations to one another. It presents an original way to understand our epistemic vulnerabilities, our obligations in education, and our care-duties toward others with whom we stand in epistemically vulnerable relationships.

In the Fall of 2021, I visited the Philosophy Department at the University of Calgary as the Fulbright Visiting Research Chair in Social Epistemology.  From 2015-2017 I was the Post-doctoral Research Fellow on the project on Humility and Conviction in Public Life at the Humanities Institute at the University of Connecticut.  I spent the 2014-2015 academic year in the philosophy department at Northwestern University as a pre-doctoral fellow in their Mellon Sawyer Seminar entitled Theoretical Issues in Social Epistemology.  I earned my PhD from the philosophy department at the University of Connecticut in April 2015.  I was also a member of UConn's Expression, Communication, and the Origins of Meaning (ECOM) research group.

My research focuses on the effects of social position and power on testimonial knowledge transmission and on conversation. This project aims to correct a glaring flaw in previous accounts, namely, that such accounts rely upon unreasonable idealizations of the social situation at hand. In my dissertation, I offer a new account according to which a speaker’s ability to testify depends on what changes she can make in the perceptions of her hearers.  In current work, I'm interested in epistemic labor, disagreement, and epistemic and communicative injustice.

In 2017, I edited a volume with contributions from some very impressive philosophers (and me) entitled Voicing Dissent: the Ethics and Epistemology of Making Disagreement PublicThe book was published by Routledge.  A review of the volume can be found here.